Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Adelia (excerpt from "Trapped" Chapter Nine)



When other girls my age were giggling about kissing boys, I became nauseous.  Kissing!  Letting someone put their germy lips on mine!  No way!  I didn’t even want anyone to touch my hands and I was always using a packaged wipe when they did.  This was annoying to many people because I refused to shake hands with them. I would just nod my head in acknowledgment, but I simply couldn’t stand the thought of someone touching my hands when I didn’t know if their hands were clean or not. 
            Needless to say, getting through high school was a real challenge.  I did not participate in any sports and finally managed to get a doctor’s permission to be excused from gym classes.  I couldn’t stomach the idea of working up a sweat and then having to share a shower with other people.  I didn’t know who cleaned the showers or what cleaning solutions they used to clean them so I wasn’t about to get into one. 
            At first my teachers thought I was a little odd, but then they realized that I was really serious.  Every time I walked into a classroom, I had my “disinfectant wipe” with me, wiping down the desk before I sat down.  I never borrowed a pen or pencil from other people and could barely handle getting a paper back from the teacher.  I had to grit my teeth and handle the edge of the paper. 
One day, someone thought it would be funny to see my reaction, if I couldn’t get to my wipes before touching anything.  They hid my purse.  I freaked out.  I wasn’t as concerned about someone stealing from me as I was at the thought of not being able to clean my desk.  I made such a commotion about it that finally the purse magically appeared.  That led to a lecture from the teacher about the importance of not fooling around with other peoples’ property.  I half-heard the lecture because I was too busy trying to compose myself and in looking for a wipe to clean my desk and my purse.  After all, someone else had actually touched it.
As bad as things were in high school, it wasn’t until I started working that I realized I had a problem.  No place was ever clean enough and my co-workers couldn’t stand the fact that I had to wipe down everything before doing anything.  They complained and I was finally fired. My first job, while I was in high school, gone down the tubes. Now I had to really think about how I was going to make a living and still not be attacked with other folks’ germs.  That was not going to be easy.
Instead of life getting better, it became more complicated.  Now, I discovered that I really didn’t want to be around people who were sneezing and coughing and touching.  The only problem was, I didn’t know how to prepare myself for a job that didn’t require me to be around other people.  So, I did some research on my home computer and discovered that I could finish high school and go to college through online courses.  I did just that.  Of course, the initial meetings of the classes always caused me some concern because they were face-to-face meetings.  And at the end of each one, inevitably, someone would try to shake my hand and I would have to politely move away from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment