Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Success Begins With A Step

No matter how badly we may to accomplish anything worthwhile, until we make the first step to get it done, we'll never know how successful we could be. This applies to every area of our adult life.

Too many times, far too many people are inhibited from seeking success because someone told them they couldn't or wouldn't be able to do what they wanted to do. I've heard those same comments, but I want to make sure everyone knows--you never know what you can do until you try. Success stories seldom occur because life just dropped success in someone's life. People have to try and some have to try harder than others. There is one exception to this quaint notion--and that's for those who were born into luxury and had everything they ever wanted--handed to them, while they made no effort at all to accomplish anything. Whatever is accomplished by the rich and famous without effort is not success--it's privilege and often not very fulfilling. That's one of the reasons the "rich and famous" do more stupid than the average person.

But let me get back to the discussion at hand. The best way I can offer insight as to what I'm suggesting is to provide examples from my own life.  Since I've shared portions of my life story countless times in my blogs I won't bore the reader with redundancy. So, let's start with my move to Houston--where I knew no one, didn't have a job, and no money to speak of. Some said I was crazy to try, but then--I've always loved a challenge. I moved, found employment and stayed four years. The only reason I left was to support my mother while living in the same state (I had been supporting her financially for two years and it was becoming burdensome).

For me, coming back was the biggest challenge--with a potential job no longer available to me, I had to wonder how I would make it, but I did. I'm about as tenacious as a pit bull--refusing to let go. At any rate, I managed to do what was needed and found a job I loved. That ended with a car accident that prevented me from doing the job--mostly driving. At any rate, sitting at home for three years waiting for lawsuits to be settled, I decided to go back to school and finish that BA I'd started many years earlier. Funny thing about going back to school in your 40s, you feel out of place in a classroom with much younger students, but I decided not to let that bother me. I ended my last semester on the Dean's list with a 3.6 GPA. Imagine that!

From there, I decided I loved learning and continued my education--completed a MA, obtained my teaching credentials passing all the required testing--the first time. Then I decided, what the heck, might as well keep going, so I applied to a graduate program, was accepted and completed all the coursework towards a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction (teaching teachers). A significant change for the worse in the teaching field caused me to pause and rethink the direction I was taking. I no longer had a heart to encourage people to enter a field that was not a viable career. When I retired, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but the 2016 election--propelled me in the direction of political activism and that is where I am right now, seeking support for a presidential run in 2020.

I'm not just seeking support, I'm actively involved in the process as some readers may know. I'm happy to report that all the top slots for Michigan government that I supported and promoted were successful. I spent hours knocking on doors, distributing literature, and making some phone calls. I spent even more time promoting the candidates online and talking to people wherever I went. My first time on an election ballot resulted in a loss, but it didn't deter me. I was on the ballot for a precinct delegate and the person who won--by 18 votes-- has never put in an appearance to do the job--I did. As a result, post-midterm election, I am now on the Executive Committee of my county's democratic party, and a current nominee for secretary for the local Democrat club. My involvement with my online promotions for candidates got me more attention that I thought. On a personal note--just so some understand--there was no pay involved in anything I did--all volunteer--all to make sure Democrats won in Michigan. And I'll do it again, as often as needed. The upside to all of this is--I met all the candidates and had chance to talk to them. People are beginning to recognize me and it's all because of a step I took.

There are some who think I won't make it to the White House. They may be right, but their attitude won't stop me from trying. I've already taken the steps needed towards success, but not everything we try is successful as others measure success. What I've been successful at doing is getting my name out there in the atmosphere, stratosphere, cybersphere or however one wants to call it. I've had people threaten me because of my political stances and distaste of trump. I've had people applaud me because of my political stances and distaste of trump. So, success is all about the angle or perspective from which one is looking. I'm headed in the right direction to achieve my goals and right now, I'm confident I'm going to get there. We'll know in 2020. But while we're waiting, you can check me out and see where I stand at facebook.com/YesIAm2020!

Come on, take the first step and decide to join me in my quest and we travel the road to success together.

https://youtu.be/Kd3XafCqHPo

EA Love

No comments:

Post a Comment