Sunday, September 21, 2014

Who To Trust!

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5,6 NKJV)

Many Believers say we trust God, but when we take the time to think about all the things we do and the decisions we make, can we say, we really trust God?

Looking at these verses this morning reminded me that there was a time in my life that when God spoke--I simply did as I was asked to do. Perhaps, it was because I was younger, eager, and fearless in my quest to please Him. Now, I notice that I am not as quick to do, but rather I tend to think about "how to get it done" rather than just doing.

I know that when we are at peace and our spirits are quieted, we hear Him clearly and because we can hear Him clearly, if we listen long enough, He'll direct us in "how" to get things done. So, perhaps, my biggest problem is that I hear one part and move too quickly and not hear the rest. I get too busy thinking about how it's going to be accomplished rather than hearing Him tell me. I'm probably not the only one, guilty of this, but if I am, "Father, forgive me and help me to hear You clearly."

We must trust Him--with all of our heart--nothing withheld. We have proven by our lack of insight and foresight (our hindsight is greater) that our wisdom (what we think we know) is limited at best, and full of holes at the least. Our wisdom--is not God's wisdom and we cannot know more than He does. Our wisdom--gets complicated when we think we have find all the answers when we don't even know all the questions to ask to seek the right answers from the right source. And the answers we do get--full of holes--with the "what ifs" syndrome.

If we acknowledge Him--first--in all we do, we would save ourselves so much heartache and confusion. I know some people think that just using the "five senses" He gives us is enough, but it isn't.

I've learned that I cannot always trust what I see--my vision is failing and clouded by cataracts; I cannot always trust what I hear--my hearing is sometimes distorted due to inner-ear complications; I cannot always trust my sense of touch because the tips of my fingers are worn and have become insensitive to heat--on occasion; I cannot trust my sense of smell because of perpetual sinus issues (I can still smell something burning and know it at once); and the worst of all, I cannot trust my sense of taste because my taste buds have a mind of their own--sometimes they like one thing and sometimes they don't.

Recognizing my shortcomings helps me realize just how much I need to trust Him--who has no problem seeing or knowing all I need to do. So, I've come to a conclusion, about things. Once I'm sure It is Him who is speaking to my situation, I'm simply going to let Him direct me in how to get it done.

He has directed me in finding things in stores without getting assistance from anyone in the store. He has directed me in filling me with knowledge about Him that has not been printed, yet. He has directed me in accomplishing things that many attorneys try to avoid. He directs my attention to His Word every morning and instructs me in what to say. Why wouldn't I trust Him?

From knowing how to take care of this body that has limitations, to knowing how to arrange words to encourage, correct, warn, admonish, to filling my heart to overflowing with love to share, and wisdom in how to be a good steward over all He has provided, I trust His wisdom and judgment more than mine.

As smart or intelligent as most of us think we are--in a crisis and in daily living--who can we really trust to know what is best for us--us or Him? If we are not willing to recognize where we are, He cannot help us to get where He wants us to be.

Lord, help us to get to a place--quickly--where we can hear You and hear You clearly when You speak to our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment