Monday, July 6, 2015

Why Jesus said, "These Words You Hear Are Not My Own!"

"Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These Words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me." (John 14:23,24 NIV)

During a discussion in which Jesus was talking to His disciples (those who followed Him), He promised them the Holy Spirit, who would come to be with them, speaking to their hearts, reminding them of all they had been taught, after He returned to heaven. This is what He said to them that led to Him reminding them, He had not said a word that had not been given to Him by His Father and that He did not speak of His own accord.

John 14: 15-21
 v. 15 If you love me, keep my commands. 
v. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you be with you forever.
v. 17 The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
v. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
v. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
v.20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
v.21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them."
v. 22. Then Judas (not Judas iscariot) said,"But Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world."

For them who have an ear to hear and eyes to see, let them listen, and read with understanding.

Those who walked with Jesus were getting a lesson from Him--a lesson that should have answered all their questions about His authority. Basically, He let them know that He had not said anything that His Father had not given Him to say. Of course, the Father He referenced was God Himself. He was making it clear to them--those who followed His teachings then and those who follow them, now--that He and the Father were One and whatever the Father said, He said.

He made it clear to them that if they claimed to love God or Him, they would obey what they were told. If they didn't obey, they proved they did not love Him or the Father. They are One in purpose and intent for the benefit of mankind.

For those who think--especially those whose mantra is--"Jesus just said 'love,' think again. With love, comes responsibility and accountability on any level. The responsibility and accountability for those who say they love Jesus, but will not obey, are also saying, they hate God. This is the attitude of the world--the unbelievers--who ignore God's Word and say wrong is right and right is wrong. They do not know God and they certainly don't understand they could not love Jesus, who was God in the flesh.

When parents love their children--that love is demonstrated with the responsibility they have for the care and upbringing of their children. They are held accountable by our society to do the right thing. Now, if we hold mere human parents responsible for their children, why would we ignore God's responsibility to His children. If we belong to Him, we are His children. I would encourage all to seek God's wisdom, and re-read all of John and I Corinthians 13 to understand God's definition of love--what it does.

Love--that four letter word that the enemy has perverted with "lust" means more than just a carnal attraction to another person; it comes with responsibility and our accountability--beginning with loving God and being accountable to Him. If we don't love Him--who is Love--how can we possibly say, we love anyone else? "If we love Him, we'll keep His commandments--to love Him with all our heart, soul, and mind, and to love one another as we love ourselves." If we love God, we won't sin against Him (first five commandments as given to Moses), and if we love one another, we won't commit acts of sin that negatively impact each other (the last five commandments).

God loved us enough to die for us (John 3:16) and so the least we can do--for those who say, they know Him, is to live for Him, a daily demonstration of who He is in living right before Him and others.

For those who don't know God or refuse to believe Him and obey; judgment has already been established and the lake of fire--awaits.

More on what Jesus said and why, next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment