Thursday, February 4, 2016


But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The LORD is great!” Psalm 40:16 NIV
How can anyone say anything about someone they don't know? A surface knowledge of anyone is not enough knowledge to judge anyone or make any determinations about them. Getting to know people on more than a passing greeting, level is how we determine our level of knowledge of others.

Although some may read a bible, go to church on a regular basis, sing in the choir, usher on the usher board, serve on the trustee or deacon board or pulpit committee or even preach in the pulpit--unless there is a thoroughly, intimate knowledge of God and how He wants us to live, we can't say much about Him and tell the truth.

When I listen to some people talk about Jesus and then every other word falling from their lips is profanity, I have to wonder--do they really know Him? I've even witnessed people do all manner of evil and then say, "Thank You, Jesus!" I'm confused. Why would anyone thank Jesus for them not getting caught in doing evil? People can do this because they don't know Him. If they really knew Him, they would be ashamed of the evil they do.

And then there are those who think they know Him because of their parents' relationship or affiliation with a church. Really? They think affiliation with a church or well-known pastor makes them know Him. They think their association puts them in a position to say, "I know the Lord!"

What I've learned through the years is that no matter which church I attend, what role I played in the church, or how many messages I preach--none of that puts me into a right relationship with God. It is having an experience with God--one in which He makes Himself known, leaving no doubt as to who He is and what I mean to Him--that brought me into a personal, intimate relationship with God. So when I say, "The Lord is great," it's because I have seen Him working on my behalf. I have known Him to move mountains out of my way and I have heard Him speak to me--on a consistent basis--guiding me along the path He established for me. Oh yes, I know Him!

Because of His love for me, I discovered who I am in Him and do all I can to live for Him, since He loved me enough to die for me. He loved me before I was born and the discovery of Him praying for me in the Garden of Gethsemane changed my life and my attitude about living a life to please Him. How great is our God! He didn't wait for me to put in an appearance to love me, or me to shout and dance in church; He loved me before my mother and father, before their parents and before their parents--from the beginning of time--He loved me, and no demon on earth or principality in the air, will ever make me doubt Him.

Now, how many people can truly say, based upon their personal knowledge and experience, "The Lord is great?" Where are they who can truly proclaim His goodness and promote others to live for Him? Now is the time for every born-again Believer to make themselves know and make His greatness known so others can say, "The Lord is Great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment