Tuesday, December 2, 2014

If We Love!

“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." (John 15:10, 12NKJV)

Loving someone is not always the easiest thing to do--especially if we love like God loves--unconditionally, no matter what. God loves us, in spite of us, no matter how many times we probably disappoint Him in the things we do and say. Parents, are supposed to love their children--no matter how many times they disappoint them by the things they do and say. Spouses, when they truly understand the distinction between loving and lusting--love one another--no matter how many times they are disappointed with one another. The fact is--if we live long enough--we will disappoint someone we say we love.

How people handle disappointment is a true benchmark of their "love" for the object of their affection. We already know that it is obvious that many who marry, don't really love because of the high divorce rate. If they truly loved one another, they would not cause harm to each other, be unfaithful in their relationship, and they would forgive each other when they have been disappointed.

Parents should not be willing to abandon their kids--don't condone stupid--but don't leave them hanging trying to sort things out if they have never been taught how to be responsible.

God loves us so much--and He does not condone sin--that He is willing to forgive us when we recognize how much we disappointment Him by the things we say and do. He doesn't just love us when we do right--He continues to love us when we do wrong and are willing to be corrected.

Can we say the same? Do we love God enough to not want to disappoint Him?

Every time I think I've gotten a handle on my temper, something happens that reminds me, I still have a long way to go--to stop disappointing God. I am so thankful that He loves me enough to check me and remind me that I have not arrived at perfection--I still need Him to guard my tongue!

My love for God is unconditional, but I have to make an effort not to disappoint Him and I'm working on it. How about you? Are there things in your life that you know, need to be removed? Are there any areas in your life in which you know, you need His continued guidance and direction?

If we truly Love Him, we'll acknowledge where we are, invite Him to govern our lives, and hear Him when He speaks--correcting us. Are we willing to listen?

Father, in the name of Jesus, help us to live a life that is pleasing to You, watching out for all those things that would disappoint You, and learning how to love, like You love us--unconditionally. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment