Sunday, February 5, 2017

Adversary or Advocate?

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 5:6-11 NIV
Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. “Come now; let us leave.                  John 14:23-31 NIV
I read an interesting article the other day, about why Christians should stop saying that Donald Trump is a Christian.  What the author of the article said was nothing new to me because I have said before, over and over again, but it was confirmation of what I have been saying. And it was refreshing to see what another real Christian had to say about their observations-the lack of any fruit of the Holy Spirit. In fact, the author said, the only fruit they have seen was "rotten fruit." http://johnpavlovitz.com/2017/02/02/its-time-we-stopped-calling-donald-trump-a-christian/

Only those who have been "brainwashed" by the gaslighting strategy employed by the trump team or so blinded by their agenda of reversing Roe v Wade could believe that Trump has even acknowledged Christ. To be clear--a Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Christ--in all things and when filled with Holy Spirit--is reminded of everything He said and we see the fruit of that development in loving The Lord and loving others--unconditionally.

Again, and I will keep saying this--it is the Evangelical leaders who have set the stage for the mockery of our democratic process--maligned for all the world to see and then they wonder why others keep belittling Trump. Though those same leaders have said they prayed and "God told them Trump was His choice," I see no evidence of any communication with the God of Heaven, the Creator of all things and without whom nothing was ever created. They communicated with each other and those in leadership positions to determine how they might effect a Republican win for the White House--just to make sure they could "control what women" do with their bodies. They can deny it all they want to, but the evidence is clear. They promoted an illiterate, cognitively impaired egotist to be president--just to have a say-so in the Supreme Court selection.

The god of this world--Satan--knows how to entrench himself in the minds of those who have not submitted to God and give them strong delusions--having them believe a lie because they did not want to know truth. It wasn't just the Evangelical leaders; it was all those who were gullible enough to believe "anything" Trump said. But because they kept listening--they were gaslighted--not knowing they were being brainwashed to accept the lies and even now--they keep listening to the lies and the liars--choosing to ignore the truth that is displayed before them daily. That's the effect of gaslighting--psychological manipulation.

We have an Advocate--His name is Jesus--who will plead our case before The Father and when we allow Holy Spirit who dwells within us to lead us--we can be assured the verdict will be, "Well done."

But then there is the adversary--the prince of this world--who influences weak minds and spiritually weak people, into believing him and this can only happen when we refuse to submit to God and live according to His Word. For the Word tells us to, "Submit to God, resist the devil, and He will flee." (James 4:7) We cannot "resist" the devil if we keep listening to the lies and more importantly, if we have not "submitted" our thoughts and ways to God, allowing Him to lead us--we place ourselves in jeopardy--giving the adversary room to work in our lives.

I have come to realize that perhaps, not many people reading my daily blog might believe I consult God in what I say, and that's okay. God knows. For there is never a time that I don't consult Him about any subject that I write. I honor His Word in the selection of passages used as a foundation for what I say and He honors "my choice" in what I say that aligns with His Word.

Here's the thing--none of us have to "believe" anyone else, but I choose to acknowledge and support those who demonstrate their love of God by doing what God says--not people. God would not promote a pathological liar to represent Him--but mere mortals with an agenda did and do. And now--the Trump Team has developed a new way to present their lies--as "alternative facts" which are still lies.

So, everyone still has choices. We can be influenced negatively and publicly by the adversary, the devil; or we can live according to God's Word and know our Advocate will always be by our side. It is "our choice" as to who we listen to and believe and God will honor our choices by allowing the consequences of our choices to overtake--for the good or the worse--we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment