Sunday, November 24, 2013

Worshipping In Spirit and In Truth!

"God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth” (John 4:24 NIV).

How is it that this conversation that Jesus had with the Samaritan woman is still needed today? Are we still worshipping gods made with the hands of man to the point we do not understand that the God we serve, is self-sufficient and is Spirit?

How do we worship God in Spirit and in truth?

When I think about the wind that we cannot see, but can see the effects of the wind, I know that God must be in the plans of man. Not that I can "visibly see" Him, but I can see the effects of what He does.  The majesty of the mountains is God's handiwork. The beauty and the magnificence of the oceans and seas are God's handiwork. The blueness of the sky, the brilliance of the sun, the twinkling of the stars, the mystery of the moon, all God's handiwork. When I look at the animals and how they worship God--their songs, their play, their ability to do exactly what they were intended to do, I see God's handiwork.

When I look at my life--the past to the present--I know that God has had a hand in what I do; and when I think about the future, I am convinced that His plans for my life will be fulfilled. So, when I worship Him in spirit, giving Him praise for all He has done, is doing, and will do, I worship Him from the deep recesses of my inner being and not just as a physical manifestation such as singing, shouting, clapping or even writing. If I had no voice, I could worship Him. If I had no hands, I could worship Him. If I had no keyboard, I could still worship Him. My spirit and His spirit are intertwined so that He knows, even if I don't say a word, that He is my God and I am His child.

Because I know His Word is Truth, I have no problem accepting it and living according to His Truth. Does this mean I am perfect? Far from it! What it means is that I know how He expects me to live and how to treat others, but there are times when I blow it, but I am quick to acknowledge my shortcomings and depend on Him to correct and guide me. Sometimes, I deliberately ignore what He is saying because it is not what I want to do, but He knows His child and He knows that eventually, I will do what He asks me to do.

We worship God in Spirit and in Truth by living according to His Word. Our lives should be a praise and worship unto Him.

Are we there, yet?

Lord, help us to become true worshippers of Who You are and not just offer You lip service or live a life that does not bring glory and honor to You. Help us to acknowledge that we need You in every aspect of our lives and we owe everything to You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment