Monday, February 10, 2014

To Whom Shall We Go?

"Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life" (John 6:68 NASB).

Sometimes when people hear truth and truth pricks their conscience, they would rather leave the person who spoke truth so they will not have to face themselves. This is the case with many of those who followed Jesus. When He spoke truth about His origins and His relationship with The Father, they could not handle it. They could not comprehend what He was said about a "spiritual" truth and misunderstood what He said based on their "literal" or "concrete" knowledge. “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life" (6:63 NASB).

I have noticed that when I write truth, many who would follow cease to do so. I can only imagine that the truths that I write, prick their consciences and they would rather live under the assumptions of lies than deal with truth. What truth? The truth about living right before God. The truth about not re-defining or refuting what God has said. The truth about understanding the all of the Bible and not selectively determining that only certain passages of the Bible matter. I could go, but enough has been said for now.

I can only imagine how Jesus must have felt, but then He said He knew from the beginning who would follow and who would betray Him. I have often wondered why some choose to follow me; especially since my stance about God's Word has not been cloaked with innuendo and falsehood, but clearly revealed. I clearly understand what Peter meant when He said, "but where can we go and retain eternal life" (my paraphrase). The answer is quite simply--we can not have eternal life apart from a right relationship with Jesus Christ.

If we are afraid of hearing truth or seeing truth--it can only mean that we are not living according to God's truth--but man's. People get angry and incensed when truth strikes a nerve and they are forced to deal with their lies or behavior they know is not condoned by God. Sin--when exposed--tends to ignite hatred in those who are committing the sin and they attempt to make everyone else the villain, not willing to confess or admit their wrongdoing.

It really does not matter whether they confess their sin or admit it to others--God knows and it is He who determines their final outcome. God does not send anyone to hell--hell, like behavior, is a choice we make when we choose to disobey or deceive others about God's Word.

I choose to follow Truth and I would hope that those who follow me or friend me are on the same page of Truth as I am. But if people decide to "unfollow" me, I'll continue to pray that Truth will prick their consciences so badly that they'll have no other place to go, than to follow Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment