Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Yep! It's Poetry Month!



In The Rabbit Hole
Mary M. Hall-Rayford © 2014

Raking the leaves, turning the soil,
I noticed the burrows dug deep,
But decided to stay on course with my plan,
To clean up the yard before the rain seeped,
Into the atmosphere, spreading across the land
Keeping me from my goal to beautify
All that anyone could see with the naked eye,
And enjoy the fruits of my labor and then,
Suddenly, I lost control of balance and
Started to sink in the hole, I had noticed,
But refused to think about then,
And now as I screamed for help from anyone
I discovered none heard, for no one was near
To my hear my heart-rend screeches or to see the tears
That flowed as I thought all was lost, but
Then I had to reflect about all I knew
About rabbit, whole and how they tasted in stew.

So I remembered Alice, and her plight in the same
And thought about what she might do
Against all odds, earthworms and grubs,
Dirt and stuff I could not even name
No wonder her journey, garnered such fame.

But I must not lose sight of my tale as it is,
May not bring glory and fame, but tis
The stuff whole novels abound with characters
Made in the quickness of thought,
And hopefully, many books will be bought
To see the end of this tale
That I now attempt to regale,
On a spring evening when all through the city
Everyone was busy, raking lawns and seeding
Not worrying about feeding the rabbits who

Waiting for someone to help them reach their goal
By falling in their hole,
Losing their minds and soon their souls,
To the depths of adventure that lie within,
Watch and see if I emerge with a grin,
Victorious in all things, until the very end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment