Friday, October 24, 2014

Is This You?

"Declare me innocent, for you see those who do right.You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong. I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands, which keep me from following cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you." (Psalm 17:2-5 NLT)

Does any of our communication sound like David's prayer?

When we have reflected upon what we do and have done, do we dare ask God to declare us innocent--knowing He sees everything we do, knows our hearts and certainly knows our hearts? Can we realistically say to Him, "You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong?"

Considering we are saved by grace--not because of anything we done to deserve God's favor, but because of who He is--our sins are forgiven and we have a right to declare whatever it is we want to Him.

When we understand we are forgiven for those things we did when we did not have a relationship with Him, it is so much easier to understand David's declaration. It is also easy to understand the importance of "staying on the path" which God has established, not following evil people or trends, and not wavering from following His directions.

We know what and who we were--notice the past tense--before we knew and understood Him.

I refer to some aspects of my life as my "BC" time--before I had understanding of Christ and what He has done for me. I am now living in my "AC" time--after obtaining understanding of who He is and grateful for what He has done and is doing for me. 

If we never acknowledge that we have done anything that needs to be forgiven, how can a forgiving God, forgive us? If we never obtain a relationship with Him, how can we expect to communicate with Him--knowing He knows all about us and loves us anyway? If we never change our ways, how can we expect to be a beacon of light in the darkness that pervades the earth so others will come to know Him? Can we be like David and make such declarations?

David was not perfect by a long shot and neither are we, but right now--I declare I am the righteousness of God; I am redeemed by the blood of the Lamb; I am forsaking all those people who might lead me astray; I am staying on the path that God has set me upon and I will not be moved! I am Blessed and highly favored and never alone because He is always with me!

Is this you?

I Am All That God Says I Am available on http://www.amazon.com/Mary-M-Hall-Rayford/e/B00BAW31CQ/

No comments:

Post a Comment