Sunday, August 30, 2015

Are We Praying?

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Colossians 4:2-6 NIV)

When I think about what I might do if I was in chains, I wonder if I would have had the fortitude that Paul had. I honestly don't know the answer to that because I've never been locked away from people or in chains. I can only pray that my devotion to God would enable me to do likewise.

But that's the key--devotion--totally dedicated and committed to doing what is needful. Although most of us are appalled with the way the terrorist groups treat Christians, we must admit they are totally devoted to their goal--no matter how inhuman it is. They are so committed to accomplishing their goal they are willing to die to see it come to pass.

I don't want to be involved with taking the life of a another human being, but wouldn't it be great if the rest of us were as devoted to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the terrorists are in trying to decimate us?

This, then is why Paul encouraged the church at Colosse (and us) to devote ourselves to prayer--being in constant communication with God about everything that concerns us. He cautions us to be watchful--paying attention to the changes taking place around, hearing Holy Spirit when He warns us of things to come, and taking whatever action we need to take to make sure the way of the Gospel is never blocked or closed to all those who desire to hear it.

Let's face it--we have not always heeded Paul's advice which is why there are so many changes in our society--and not all of them good. We were not being watchful when Madeline Murray O'Hara decided that her children didn't need to be exposed to anyone praying in schools. The Body of Christ didn't think she'd accomplish her goal and did nothing and so today, the school systems all over the country are running amuck because open prayer is not allowed. In other words--the devil won that round. But there are still those who are devoted to praying--and students are leading prayer circles in limited situations. Hooray for the brave, bold students, but what happened to the adults who should have been fighting for the rights of all to hear and agree with the prayers?

Once again, Christian Leadership in the country failed to act on warnings by Holy Spirit and the Supreme Court has led the way for the downward spiral of morality and we shall soon see such decadent immorality that it will make our dead ancestors cringe in unbelief. Were we praying before issues reached the Supreme Court? Were we praying that our elected body of legislators would do their jobs?

Are we praying--even now--or have we become complacent and apathetic--willing to just let things take their course?

My daily prayer includes thanking God for wisdom being poured out upon every leader in this country--that they will hear from heaven and act accordingly. I'm praying that those who made the decision to legalize sin would repent and for those participating in sinful acts would repent and seek God. I thank God for the ability to love, the boldness to teach His Word, and the wisdom to know what to say and when. I thank God for inspiring me to teach my children and grandchildren to learn to please God, not man. And more importantly, I've taught them to seek God--communicating with Him on a daily basis--for answers to all their questions and solutions for all their problems.

Are we praying? Are we devoted to seeking God for every situation we encounter--for peace in the world and salvation for all?

Lord, give us insight to know that we will never have the answers for all the world's problems, but You do. And when You speak to us--directing us in how to help solve them, give us an ear to hear and a made-up mind to do--just as You direct us to do, exercising Godly wisdom at all times. Thank You for loving us enough to give us chance after chance to get things right before You return. In Jesus' name, I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment