Sunday, November 1, 2015

He Knows!

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is in on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. (Psalm 139:1-8 NIV)
The Creator knows who and what He has created; He knows the number of hairs on our heads, the number of brain cells that still function, our thoughts before we think them. There is nothing about us that God does not know and there is nothing we could ever hide from Him.
The eyes of the Lord are in every place--beholding the good and the evil, so why do we think we know more than Him? Though we do things in the dark and out of sight of people, our deeds are never hidden from Him.

Sometimes, I wonder--if people really understand that we will never know more than God--and there are some things that He will never allow us to discover because He knows--once we obtain certain knowledge, we have a tendency to think we are gods and can control our environment and circumstances, when the truth is--we have difficulty controlling our thoughts and tongues.

If we cannot control those things within the scope of our "choices" what makes us think, we can ever be wiser than God? James reminds us that the tongue, "that little member of our bodies that lacks control" ignites anger and starts wars--not knowing how to discern truth from lies. But those thoughts we allow to deceive us into speaking things we don't understand--that is where the confusion begins and ends. When our thoughts are not on things above, but below, we allow the enemy to enter and influence what we think and what we think--governs what we do or say.

I've often told my students that when a person refuses to know how to think for themselves, they will always be controlled by others. One of the reasons our society is in such sad shape is because people are influenced by others rather than drawing their own conclusions after gathering information and analyzing it, logically--not emotionally. Our emotions are fickle and subject to change faster than the wind moves in a storm, and no one should ever make a decision based upon their emotions. For more often than not--when emotional decisions are made--the irrationality of those decisions spring to the forefront and cannot be changed and the domino effect is put into motion, where one bad decision is made after another. God knows!

And because He knows how we react in our emotional states, He has provided us with wise counsel in His Word, but we must seek the wisdom in His Word, before we allow our thoughts to lead us into dangerous territory which could cause our demise or the demise of others. Before He created us, He knew our flaws and shortcomings, our emotional imbalances and rigid irrational thought-processes. He knew and loved us anyway because He also knew He had provided a means of escape from our own destination of destruction. "Trust in the Lord. Don't count on your own understanding, but in all things, acknowledge Him and determine to do things, His way." (Proverbs 3:7,8 paraphrased) So much wisdom found in the Proverbs!

God knew we would need Him and He knew some would never read His Word with understanding, so He came down to earth in the form of a man--Jesus--died, saved us from ourselves and provided us with His spirit to dwell within us--guiding us to His Word. He knew then and He still knows what we need more than we do. So, when are we going to realize--We need Him to guide us in all things and especially in controlling our tongues? We can fool ourselves and think we are all that, but without Him, we are nothing and will accomplish nothing of worth. He already knows--when will we get a clue?

No comments:

Post a Comment