Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Purpose of Counselling!

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. Proverbs 11:14 KJV
For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers. Proverbs 11:14 NIV
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid. Good people obtain favor from the LORD, but he condemns those who devise wicked schemes. Proverbs 12:1,2 NIV
The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good. Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:3,22
Surely you need guidance to wage war, and victory is won through many advisers. Proverbs 24:6 NIV
The first counselors present in our lives are our parents and when we have Godly parents, we get good advice and if we follow their good advice, we encounter fewer problems, but when we do encounter problems, we know how to address them.

At a point in time--at that time varies for all people--when we have been influenced by righteousness, we reach a time when we understand the need for God in our lives and receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. When we receive Him and are filled with Holy Spirit--we have the greatest counselor living within us and if we hear and obey, we avoid many problems in life.

In a secular setting--those who journey through life without the guidance of Holy Spirit--there are counselors that are trained to give good advice so our lives can be balanced and more complete. If people heed their advice, many are able to overcome problems that could otherwise devastate them.
Having access to good counseling/advisors appears to be important to God since it is mentioned so many times along with "wisdom" and being "wise." There are those who do not seek wise counsel and end up doing foolish things and being exposed for their foolishness.

How do we know who is a wise counselor? We know Holy Spirit is the wisest counselor we could ever have, but absent His presence, we need to look at the people who are trying to advise us. What does their life look like? Is there evidence that wisdom was exercised in all they do? Is there evidence that they know God, hear and obey? Are they doing the same thing the person they're counseling is doing and yet think they can advise others?

To simplify matters and for the sake of clarity--let me explain further. A person who has never known success in marriage cannot offer any advice about anyone having a successful marriage. A person who does not exemplify Godly behavior in all they do, cannot advise anyone else about how God wants them to act. A person whose life is filled with past, unrepentant sin, cannot advise anyone else about how to live a Godly life or even a life that is above reproach. For The Word of God says, "The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them. “But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, that person will surely live; they will not die." Ezekiel 18:20,21 NIV

Therefore, if anyone tells us that we will be held accountable for the actions of others--they lie and the truth is not in them. God holds us--individually--accountable for what we do, not for the actions of others. And quite frankly, I'm tired of people promoting this lie. I am responsible for the things I say and the things I do--no one else--and I cannot blame poor counseling or negative influence--I alone am responsible. But since I hear Holy Spirit when He speaks, I do not live my life concerned with committing sin--if I even think of the wrong thing--He checks me. When I'm writing my blog posts or even commenting on other online forums, He leads me in all I say. Even when others attack what I say and resort to name-calling; though my flesh may rise and want to counter the attack, He won't let me. As a result--Glory to God--many people who follow the same articles I do have commented on my patience with others in how I respond to them. It is not me, but Holy Spirit in me, that keeps me from making a fool of myself in a public forum. This is the evidence of wise, sound counseling, serving its purpose--that we don't make a fool of ourselves for all the world to see.

People can say whatever they want to say about me--I have a thick skin and Holy Spirit to guide me when I'm tempted to react. I realize I cannot control what people think or say; I can only allow Holy Spirit to control me so I do what I do--knowing if I ever take the wrong path, Holy Spirit will put me back on the right path.

The purpose of counseling is to keep us safe and avoid negative situations that could cause more grief-- from political campaign implosions and unnecessary wars (egos and nations).

I'm praying for people everywhere (specifically in this election cycle) to hear wise counsel--especially when there is a multitude of counselors--giving good advice. For in the multitude of counselors--Holy Spirit will reside in at least one of the people--giving advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment