Friday, July 11, 2014

Search Me, O God!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." (Psalm 139: 23,24 NLT)

How many people are willing to submit to microscopic inspection by anyone? Probably not too many. The greater issue is that God knows all and sees all and when He tells us what He sees--are we willing to listen and adjust?

In our society, many people are more concerned about what people think of them and as a result--they adjust--their opinions, what they say and what they do--to win the favor of people! They do not consider--God and His thoughts towards them; nor do they hear Him when He speaks and they certainly do not make adjustments to please Him because after all--He's God--He's not that important to them. That's the impression we get from the actions of "some people." What our attitude should be towards God is to please Him, not people, because people are too fickle and unstable. And then--people--do not have a heaven or hell for us--therefore, people should be the least of our concerns.

And this is why we hear the psalmist say, "Search me, O God...and point out anything in me that offends you." If we want to get living right for God--we have to be willing for Him to point out areas in our lives that need work and then we must be willing to hear and adjust. It is the hearing and adjusting that many simply do not want to do because any adjustment on their part would mean not giving into fleshly desire.

Who is God that we should listen to Him?

Every individual needs to answer this question for themselves. As for me and my house--we will serve Him, and listen and adjust to please Him--since He is the only wise God, Creator of all that was ever created, the One who loves me in spite of me, and has a place prepared for me--for all eternity--to be with Him--where peace and love abide. So, cut away O Lord, everything in me that is not of You and offends You, that I might live my life, pleasing You!

Dare--to ask God to search you, point out areas that need work and then listen and adjust. Move pride aside and submit to His inspection in order to please Him and watch how He works things out in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment