Sunday, December 6, 2015

Where He Leads!

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake. Psalm 23:1-3 NIV
Every so often we need to go back and "refresh" our thoughts about God's Word even though most of us can quote the 23rd Psalm verbatim. However, understanding is not found in merely quoting passages of scripture, but in analyzing them, picking them apart to see what was going on then and how to apply it now.

Shepherds lead their flock on a path of safety, away from the drama of life in situations they cannot change, and keep them focused on what's needed. If the shepherd doesn't keep the flock safe--the sheep will wander off and get themselves killed and become of no benefit to anyone except the wolves who stand at the ready to devour them.

Wolves standing at the ready to devour silly, foolish sheep who will not follow sound instruction is true both naturally and spiritually. In the natural, the shepherd loses the potential worth of the the sheep's wool and the sustenance of the meat. Spiritually, the shepherd loses the potential of growth--gaining more witnesses to promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ and in tithes and offerings to expand a viable program in bringing others into the knowledge of Christ.

There are so many shepherds out in the world of Christianity who are only concerned with fleecing the sheep--not feeding them so they will be valuable commodities in the kingdom, but draining people dry of valuable resources, but never giving them a nutritional message--one they can feed on for days and learn something by doing so. A "hoop" and a "holler" won't provide any sustenance--it may ignite emotions for a minute, but once the moment is past--there is nothing--zero calories--a waste of time.
I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
I can hear my Savior calling,
"Take thy cross and follow, follow Me."
Where He leads me I will follow,
Where He leads me I will follow,
Where He leads me I will follow,
I'll go with Him, with Him all the way.
When we sing this timeless song of dedication and commitment to the Lord, are we really saying we'll allow Him to lead us or are we simply following the man or woman in the pulpit who are not true shepherds?

If we're following Christ, we will be fed and nurtured in His Word--prepared to do good works; if we're following people--only God knows where we'll end up--and that may be--devoured by the wolves.

Think carefully today about who is leading you and where they may be leading you. Do you have a good shepherd or is there a wolf in sheep's clothing leading you astray? The Good Shepherd will only say what His Father has already said--the wolf--will manipulate God's Word to appease people and to mislead them.

Where Jesus leads me--I will follow and go with Him, all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment