Monday, June 19, 2017

Did You Know?

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will find favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Proverbs 3:3,4 NIV
A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1 NIV
Most people are remembered by what they do and the association their name brings to a situation.  The Word tells us that when we obey God, we'll find favor and a  good name in the sight of God and man. I'm counting on God's Word to see me through the decision-making process as I contemplate running for President in 2020. I'm doing the exploration now in hopes of establishing a coalition of people who have similar ideas and values and will support my run. Fortunately for me, I have until June of 2019 to make that decision and once made--is irreversible. This is too important for me to take lightly so I must consider all things from every possible angle.

The real hindrance to a successful run at this juncture--is not many know who I am and some of those who do--are either skeptical of my ability to win or frightened at what running could cost me--all loss of privacy.

So, here's my attempt to alleviate the skepticism and fear.

I was born and raised in West Virginia--lived in London and Montgomery and for a very brief time--Harlem Heights until my mother and stepfather separated.

I've been told that my mother and father were divorced by the time I was a year-old (of course I wouldn't remember that) and after that--well, life had its ups and downs.

The only time I ran for any office--I was in the eleventh grade and ran for class president. I lost to a boy named Tommy (can't remember his last name), a very popular blind student and there was no bitterness in the loss. Like every competition--there's a winner and a loser. I would have supported Tommy as a class president for our senior year, but that opportunity was denied me when my mother decided to move to Detroit, Michigan.

That decision--was a pivotal point in my life--one that I don't think my mother ever understood and since I didn't want to be in Detroit, I became a rebellious teenager to the nth degree. I didn't do anything illegal, but I no longer cared what anyone thought of me and did what I wanted to do. I quit school after one semester at Northern High School because the atmosphere was so violent I didn't want to be there. I later went back and took the two classes needed for my diploma during summer school.

I managed to get a partial scholarship to Detroit Institute of Technology, but circumstances impeded my progress and I only finished one term. From there, I worked various jobs: file clerk, paraprofessional for Detroit Public Schools, to bank teller for various banks in both Michigan and Texas, a telephone service representative for Houston Lighting and Power, a secretary for Crain Communications, Inc. and an inspector and counselor for United Community Housing Coalition. Due to car accident that impeded my ability to drive as much as I needed to drive, I ended up leaving that job and eventually going back to college.

In between some of the various and sundry jobs--I acknowledged a calling into ministry in 1987 and completed courses of study to that end, licensed 1990 and later ordained in 1996.

In 1997, I graduated from Wayne State University with a BA in Sociology and English, and in 2002 completed an MA in English and Speech, and continued my education towards a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction in English and Special Education. I finished the coursework, but changed my mind about where I saw a career in education headed and am now considered--ABD--all but Dissertation.

I've taught in a number of environments--public schools as a substitute teacher and as a certified teacher, and college professor as well as in various churches. I've taught in a Catholic school and charter schools.

I've written and directed plays as well as supervised student directors.

I've written a number of books--most of which can be found on Amazon.com, covering a wide range of interests. Two of the books written are the result of challenging myself in the NaNoWriMo challenge in November. The first year I wrote the required 50,000 words in 15 days, the second year in 9 days.

I've been nominated for teacher of the year, profiled in Who's Who in Teaching, and involved in the National Writing Project on a local level at Oakland University and Wayne State University.

I've been volunteered for a number non-profits--one of which I founded.

Most of what I've done is out of a sincere desire to make a difference in the lives of others and so far, I think I've been pretty successful.

At any rate, whatever a person wants to know about me can be found in a book or in a blog--I have no problem in publicizing my inner reflections about me or others or situations--as most of my readers know. But for those who don't know--have fun doing the research. I have two wonderful children, three grandchildren and a husband I adore.

The purpose of this blog post--is to alert anyone who thinks they can find anything "potentially damaging" to my intent to run for president. I encourage the "investigation" because I have nothing to hide. I've lived the life of an Everyday American with ups and downs, trials and tribulations, defeats and victories.

Did you know all this? Well, now you know! Remember the name and join me in helping to make a difference in the lives of Everyday Americans!

eda

No comments:

Post a Comment