Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Every Once In A While!

Every now and then, I stop and think
About my life and where I am, on the brink
Of greatness or mediocrity, full of joy or sadness
Thinking about world events and all the madness
That makes no sense, has no rhyme or reason
And then I reflect, all the more this season,
Getting close to Mother's Day!
Even though mine is gone--over 20 years now,
I can't help but remember, her living and how
She kept us line, taught us morals and work ethics
Provided a basis of faith, though she sometimes wavered,
And deep in my heart, I knew I was not who she favored,
But she loved us--each and everyone--not with words,
So much, but her actions were loud and no one misunderstood,
What she meant, with hugs or with the short end of wood
Of a switch we had to choose for her to use when we foolishly
Disobeyed or created chaos and unrest in her home.
So, every once in a while, I sit and ponder, the life she made
For us--not wealthy in material things, but we learned so much more
And she find excuses not work, two jobs and we were still poor,
Materially, but spiritually we thrived and survived and two of us
Are yet here to remind each other,
About our idiosyncratic mother--may she rest in peace.
Every once in a while, give mothers their due and think about how
You can show them some love; especially if they are still here-wow
Them and if not--send some love to those up above
In the heavenlies, reminding self--nothing like a true mother's love!

Lord Jesus, help us to be mindful of our mothers--here or gone and help us to better at being a mother after Your heart, so our children and grandchildren will think about us--every once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment