Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What Will Your Reward Be?

"For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done" (Matthew 16:27 NIV).

Most people like getting rewarded for doing good things, accomplishing goals, or just for being recognized for any achievement--Olympians, Athletes, Actors, Singers, Dancers, everyone.

Children like getting rewards for good behavior; students like getting rewards for good grades, attendance, and other accomplishments--especially extra curricular activities. Employees like getting rewards for a job well done. Businesses like getting rewards for providing great products and services. Consumers even like getting rewards where they frequently patronize a business. I love my rewards cards. Rewards--are a great thing to get--for doing the right thing.

But when we look at this passage of scripture, we see that "each person" will be rewarded according to what they have done. This reward will not be for those who did good or the right thing, but each person--based upon what they did. Does that mean that a reward can have a negative connotation? It would appear so, since we know that not everyone has reached a place where they have acknowledged Jesus Christ as Savior and they surely have not all lived according to God's Word.

In light of this thought (in line with The Word), think about what your reward might be. Some will receive a variety of crowns for living according to God's Word and doing His will instead of their own thing. Some will receive their mansions. Some will hear, "Well done!" and others--well, only God knows what their reward will be since He has the final say on that day of judgment.

I'm not waiting until then to hope for a reward for living right--I'm living right, now--and thereby assuring my rewards--according to all God has said. This does not mean that I have reached perfection, but it does mean I actually think about what I do before I do and usually, I do what is expected of me. Sometimes, it takes a little longer for me to do it, but eventually, I get it done.

What about you? Are you sure you know what your reward will be? If not, you can be sure by getting into The Word and living a life that's pleasing to God! The rewards on earth and in heaven are worth it! Try it--you'll see! Great is the faithfulness of The Lord to fulfill His promises to all who love and obey Him! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment