Friday, July 29, 2016

Moving Forward!


Basic Amenities Denied

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Philippians 3:13-16 NIV
No matter what anyone says about Hillary Clinton, no one can deny that she has overcome obstacles--privately and publicly--revealed her humanity in service to and for others--no matter what was going on in her private life and doggedly fought to attain a historic place that no one else can claim--the first woman nominated to be President of the United States. I have determined--that though I disagree with two aspects of the party's platform-- I will diligently seek to help her enter the White House as President in January 2017.

Now, I know many (Christians) won't agree with my stance and I'm okay with that because I know--without a doubt in my being--that God wants a person leading all who understands people and knows how to love--regardless of their lifestyle, skin color or religion! How do I know? Because of God's love towards all mankind--regardless of our failings and imperfections--He still loves us and we are commanded to love others as we love ourselves. Since I would not hate myself or make fun of myself in a detrimental manner, I cannot and will not do that to others or support those who do.

I have lived long enough to see history made repeatedly--especially as it pertains to those responsible for leading this country. And I am proud to be an American--born and raised right here in the USA and I can only imagine how proud most who come here--voluntarily--they are of who we are as a nation and how we are represented to the rest of the world.

In an online commentary yesterday, someone asked me if I wanted to appear in the history books--after I reminded that person that every person coming to this land from Europe was an immigrant. This land--on this continent--was inhabited by the natives of the land and Africans were brought here, forcibly in chains, forced to build this country and then denied access to the benefits derived from its success. Then the land was taken--forcibly--from the natives of the land by those who came here--not born here--and yet they want to claim superiority over the rest of us.





Let me move on--I responded to the inquiry about being in the history books by saying, I'd love to see an accurate portrayal of history that includes everyone's story. And since my ancestry includes the natives of the land, migrants from Asia and Europe and slaves from Africa, I'd want to see their history in the books--as the true Americans. This is not a diatribe about those who have lied to the world--though they did--this is about bringing to the forefront that "white people" were not the first in this land and they should never attempt to claim superiority over any who were already here or brought by force.


That being said, please note--I have no hatred in me for anyone--I'm long past that and if I wanted to hold onto mistreatment at the hands of white people--I could, but it serves no purpose. I've been around a long time and was raised in an environment where Jim Crow laws reigned and there was nothing anyone could do about it, but I survived as did many others.

And now--moving forward--on November 8, 2016, I will be part of history that elects this country's first woman president and be proud of it. I look forward to living in a country where all people--no matter what their skin color, ethnicity, or religion--can live in peace and harmony, having received God's love and knowing how to share it with others!

Glory Hallelujah--Love trumps hates!

No comments:

Post a Comment