Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sometimes, It's Best To Be Quiet!

The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly. Proverbs 15:14 NIV
I'm sure most of us have had opportunities in which we have listened to someone talking, trying to make a point, but strayed so far from the point, people who were listening forgot why they were listening.

When I've encountered this situation (and I have a lot lately), I often wonder if people are listening to themselves.

First of all, The Word tells us, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks," (Matthew 12:34), if a person's mouth keeps speaking do we not see what's in their heart?

Then there are those who love the sound of their voice and forget that others are not that crazy about "their voice" but they're so wrapped up in themselves, they don't recognize when people start squirming and looking at watches.

Moving onto those who--when speaking to a new audience--make certain erroneous assumptions about the crowd to whom they're speaking. This is where the rubber meets the road and the speaker is found guilty of presuming--having no knowledge--thinking they are the only one "in the know."

Personally, based upon my experience in various environments, I've learned that any time a person has to tell me they are, "God-fearing" or a "Christian" they are not telling the whole truth. I'm more convinced by a person's actions as to who they are than I am by their words. And if your actions don't demonstrate what your words say--I'm not interested in anything else you have to say.

Okay, I won't bore you any longer with this diatribe, but I wanted to remind anyone interested--when speaking before people you've never met--don't try to impress them with a lot of talking,--just get to the point and sit down. Let your audience lead your speaking with their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment