Sunday, July 28, 2013

What Writers Do?

The following is a response to an invitation to another writer on Wordpress.com.  Sometimes, I write so much, I forget what I've said.  This serves as a reminder and may inspire, encourage, or motivate others.  

Writing is such a “personal” experience (content, not mechanics) that I’m not sure there is any one way to determine which direction or path anyone should take. I write poetry to vent, blogs to inspire and encourage, devotionals to teach, non-fiction to teach and encourage, and fiction to enjoy or encourage. I read scripture every morning before I blog, I pray for inspiration before I read and then I allow the Holy Spirit to lead me in what I type. For some, this will work well and for others, not so well, especially if their experience with God is not the same.

At any rate, I titled one of my blogs, “Always Thinking and Writing” and the other, “Writing for Life”. Both titles describe what I do with a degree of accuracy, but neither is inclusive of all the passion within or the time I take to make sure my readers get something out of what I say. Who knows–even with my deliberation-they may hate it or ignore it or it just might make them “think”. So, I guess, as I was writing a response to this invitation to share, I have concluded that I write primarily to make people think–not agree–but to think about what I say and how it either aligns or not with how they think or not. Words–have a power of their own–independent of the writer, but very dependent upon the receptivity of the reader.
 
Always open to comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment