Friday, November 25, 2016

Self-Appointed Leaders!

Now Adonijah, whose mother was Haggith, put himself forward and said, “I will be king.” So he got chariots and horses ready, with fifty men to run ahead of him. (His father had never rebuked him by asking, “Why do you behave as you do?” He was also very handsome and was born next after Absalom.) Adonijah conferred with Joab son of Zeruiah and with Abiathar the priest, and they gave him their support. But Zadok the priest, Benaiah son of Jehoiada, Nathan the prophet, Shimei and Rei and David’s special guard did not join Adonijah. Adonijah then sacrificed sheep, cattle and fattened calves at the Stone of Zoheleth near En Rogel. He invited all his brothers, the king’s sons, and all the royal officials of Judah, but he did not invite Nathan the prophet or Benaiah or the special guard or his brother Solomon. Then Nathan asked Bathsheba, Solomon’s mother, “Have you not heard that Adonijah, the son of Haggith, has become king, and our lord David knows nothing about it? I Kings 1:5-11 NIV
Is this something my lord the king has done without letting his servants know who should sit on the throne of my lord the king after him?” Then King David said, “Call in Bathsheba.” So she came into the king’s presence and stood before him.The king then took an oath: “As surely as the LORD lives, who has delivered me out of every trouble, I will surely carry out this very day what I swore to you by the LORD, the God of Israel: Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne in my place.”Then Bathsheba bowed down with her face to the ground, prostrating herself before the king, and said, “May my lord King David live forever!” King David said, “Call in Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet and Benaiah son of Jehoiada.” When they came before the king, he said to them: “Take your lord’s servants with you and have Solomon my son mount my own mule and take him down to Gihon. There have Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anoint him king over Israel. Blow the trumpet and shout, ‘Long live King Solomon!’ Then you are to go up with him, and he is to come and sit on my throne and reign in my place. I have appointed him ruler over Israel and Judah.” I Kings 1:27-35 NIV
Looking upon where we are today, I can hear the same question being asked of God by those who know Him and are in strong relationship with Him, "Is this Your doing God?" And while I cannot speak for anyone else, in my spirit I hear God's response, "No!"

But we have to understand what happens when people use all manner of deception and manipulation to accomplish what they want and the best way to understand how God is consistent in what He does is to look at what happened with Adonijah! And for that, we'd have to keep reading, but I'll sum it up. Adonijah died at the hands of King Solomon after making an insulting request--through Solomon's mother.

Instead of acting like a man, Adonijah acted like a child, making the request of Solomon's mother instead of going to Solomon directly. The request--give me the virgin that had been assigned to King David (his father)--covetousness and desire to make a mockery of David's last days by taking what was his.

Perhaps, the greatest lesson we can learn from the history recorded in the Old Testament is that when we rebel against God--thinking we know more than He does--in order to make our own name great--we are doomed to suffer the consequences.  God is not mocked. He sees all that is done by those who do not reverence Him, but make a mockery of all He has planned. In the end, we reap the consequences of our actions when we fail to heed the warnings.

The only great name anyone should reverence is Jesus and when we denounce Him and disavow all He is by our actions, we place ourselves in a position to be judged and all the world shall hear the noise when the end has come upon those who appoint themselves as leaders--and those who supported the nonsense.

Look at what some Americans have done--in the name of patriotism, but in actuality because of hatred and bigotry! Elected a president with no qualifications and certainly no approval from God. And then he mocks the entire democracy, by appointing the most despicable people in positions of authority and more who are even less qualified than he is to head vital departments of our nation. The noise in the streets--the cry of outrage for people know only disaster awaits. And the noise we hear and have heard is nothing to compared to the noise we will hear--from those who supported the unqualified person to lead to this nation.

Not my will, but Yours--to do as You direct in all things--to sound the alarm when You speak it to me and let others know--You are yet watching over all that occurs in the earth and You have the final Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment