Thursday, November 17, 2016

When We Question God!

And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.”But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.” Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” Exodus 3:9-13 NIV

When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior.” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the LORD bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the LORD has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”The LORD turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”The LORD answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.” Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.” And the LORD said, “I will wait until you return.” Judges 6:12-18 NIV
Throughout the course of history, whenever a person needed clarity from God, they asked questions and since God wants us to conduct ourselves with wisdom--He gives us clarity--so we'll understand and not be misled or mislead.

Of course, we could go back even further to see Abraham bargaining with God and how God allowed Abraham barter with Him. When we have a right relationship with God, we can talk to God and question Him because He wants us to understand.

Moses had a heart open to hear God and wanted to please Him, but when he didn't understand why God was using him, he questioned Him and God responded.
When Gideon didn't understand how he was to do what the angel of the Lord was saying to him, he questioned Him.

The Word tells us the testimony of two witnesses is true. I always look for confirmation in God's Word of anything He tells me do and usually after I've questioned Him--seeking understanding. For The Word also tells--in all of our getting--get understanding.

So when things happen and we don't understand them, we have a right to question God and He will respond as a loving Father responds. God doesn't want us wandering around in circles--not understanding the direction He wants us to take.

I remember when He told me I was to teach His Word. He woke me at 3:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning and we argued or rather I argued, He laughed at me, for three hours. I didn't understand why God would use me and in fact--told Him, He had the wrong house. I even tried telling Him about my past and how He couldn't possibly want me. And when I did that, I heard Him say, "Like I wasn't there with you." That did it for me. Because I've always known that God is always with me, but I couldn't fathom why He wanted me to teach His Word. I stopped arguing, but I did say, "If you want me to teach Your Word, then You'll have to teach me."

Now, I had read the bible--in its entirely--just three months before I had this conversation with God--out of boredom or so I thought. I now know He was preparing me. And in the course of preparation, He led me every step of the way, getting clarity and understanding about what He wanted me to do.

That was over twenty-five years ago and I'm still teaching His Word and still questioning Him when I need clarity of anything. This one thing I know--He loves me and would never lead me astray. At times, when I hesitate to be quickly obedient it is because I am waiting for confirmation and when I get it--I act.

I believe The Word--Some may trust in horses. Some may trust in chariots. But I will trust in The Lord and when I don't understand something, I will question Him.

Looking around the world at all the events that are taking place--the earthquakes, the floods, the violence, and hatred--I shake my head in wonder and question Him--Why, Lord, why?  And He answers.

I don't have to like His answer, but when He speaks, I know it is Him and another--man or spirit trying to mislead me--I will not follow. When we have a right relationship with God--child to Father--He treats like us His children and responds as a loving Father, not a taskmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment