Friday, September 6, 2013

Examine Yourself!

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged" (I Corinthians 11:31 NIV).

The tiny word "if" can make such a huge difference in the outcome or results of what we do or seek.  I'm finding that to be true more each day.  "If" I had not been so anxious and adrenaline driven to finish what I started, I would have caught errors in my writing.  "If" I had paid more attention to what I was doing along the way of life, I would have made better choices. The list of "ifs" could go on for a long time, but my purpose here is not to beat up on myself or anyone else.  My purpose is simply to encourage all to slow down, and think--judge for ourselves what we're doing and the outcome we wish to see, so others won't judge us prematurely.

The adage that first impressions are lasting impressions is true. We cannot turn back the hands of time to correct some of the things we did, some quite unintentionally, but we can make sure we are paying attention to what we are doing and try not to make the same mistakes. Take the blinders off our eyes and be willing to see ourselves, objectively, as the world sees us. What needs to change?  We are the only ones who can determine the changes that need to be made after giving ourselves a thorough examination--willing to see what is there, not oblivious to what is not there.  We cannot afford to fool ourselves if we are to make a lasting impression upon those who do not know Jesus, to come to know Him!

Lord, help us all to take more care with the things we do understanding the outcome represents who we are--in a positive or negative light.  Help us to see ourselves clearly in the mirror, examining every aspect and changing what we can so others will not judge us.  Help us to hear You, when You correct us and warn us so we don't have to think about the "ifs" that could happen. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment