Sunday, April 26, 2015

Momentary Anger, But Enduring Favor!

"For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5 NIV)

What is a moment in God's timing? If a thousand years is as a day then a moment could be hundreds of years. At least it could be about 400 if we estimate timing accurately between the time the last prophet spoke to the children of Israel and His appearance on earth as Jesus.

But that's another discussion. As a grandparent who is parenting, again, I often get upset with my grandson--a teenager--going through puberty. I can only imagine how many reading this can relate, but at rate, this is trying time for both of us. We both get angry and sometimes, I have to remove myself from the moment so I won't say something I will regret. Fortunately, for him, I don't stay upset. Within a couple of hours, if he hasn't done too much that's foolish, I'm over my anger. He holds onto his anger a little longer, but for the most part, it doesn't last long.

When I think about how we all must transition through stages of life, I'm really glad that God's anger doesn't last--if it did, where would some of us be? I know I can look back on my life and shake my head--thinking about all the foolish things I did and know that some of them had to anger Him, but He kept me--even in my foolishness--from any lasting harm because of His plans for me. Today, I am thankful for His plans for my life since they have brought me to a place where not only have I acknowledged His great mercy and love, but have accepted Him as Lord of my life and I'm living please Him.

Because of His favor, I am able to live my dream--teaching English and writing to my heart's content, exercising the gifts He's given. Because of His favor, I have been able to make an impact in the lives of others by being who He wants me to be and not who I was without Him in my life. Because of His favor--doors have opened that none can shut and doors have closed than none can open.
Because of His favor, I walk with my head held high, knowing who I am and who I serve and know nothing by any means shall harm me. Because of His favor--shown towards me--I can show favor--towards my grandson, knowing that the phase of life he's in shall soon pass.

Thank You, Lord for favor and a desire to do all things to please You. Thank You for new mercies showered upon every day and because of the new mercy, we can continue to show mercy to others. What a wonderful thing to know that Your anger only lasts for a moment--not in our timing, but in Yours--and we can rejoice when we wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment