Monday, January 11, 2016

On The Journey--Samek!

I hate the double-minded,
But I love Your law.
You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in Your word.
Depart from me, you evildoers,
For I will keep the commandments of my God!
Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
Hold me up, and I shall be safe,
And I shall observe Your statutes continually.
You reject all those who stray from Your statutes,
For their deceit is falsehood.
You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross;
Therefore I love Your testimonies.
My flesh trembles for fear of You,
And I am afraid of Your judgments.
The 15th letter (Samech in the KJV) and stanza--man versus God--what men do and what God does.

The writer (and rightfully so) expresses his feelings about double-minded people--those who are on one side of the fence one day and then switch--at will to the other side. This is like politicians--who proclaim to belong to one party adamantly and then switch to the other. James tells us, "A double-minded person is unstable in all their ways." I think most of can see the waffling and teetering between the points of thought of the political candidates now. I'm with the writer on this one--double-minded people cannot be trusted.

However, I wonder if when we're singing our praises to God or even just talking to Him, if we would be better off, not spending so much time talking about those who do wrong. It's not like God doesn't see them or know what they do.

And then there is the arrogance--implied in almost every stanza--"Look at what they do God, but I don't do those things." The writer is constantly telling God how much he loves His laws and His Word, but do we really need to "say" we love His Word or should we just "live" His Word?

Some may not agree with my conclusions and that's perfectly fine. I would like to get into meaningful dialogue with those who truly want to understand and live God's Word before Him.

In some parts of his song, it would appear that he is almost blaming God when he gets into trouble. If his hopes are dashed--it's God's fault? Since God honors our free-will choices (we have to accept the consequences of those choices), it would seem to be that it is not God we need to seek to keep our hopes in Him from being shattered, but we need to seek Him in making our choices.

Now, I realize that we are now living in the 21st century and most of us have a wider depth of knowledge than the writer had at his disposal, but have we changed the way we do things--in particular--in how we talk to God?  The earth is full of wickedness, but do we need to detail all their ways or just pray that all the wicked and evildoers will allow God into their hearts?

I'm not trying to make light of the world's plight, but seeking understanding so I can be a better representative of who God is, and not need to have me in the spotlight.

Lord, help us to hear You clearly and to obey all You desire us to do and to do it all to Your glory for there is none like You!


No comments:

Post a Comment