Sunday, January 10, 2016

On The Journey--Nun!



Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
I have sworn and confirmed
That I will keep Your righteous judgments.
I am afflicted very much;
Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.
Accept, I pray, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD,
And teach me Your judgments.
My life is continually in my hand,
Yet I do not forget Your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
Yet I have not strayed from Your precepts.
Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever,
For they are the rejoicing of my heart.
I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes
Forever, to the very end. Psalm 119:105-112 NKJV

The 14th letter and stanza--gratitude for God's Word in the direction our lives take.

How is God's Word a lamp for our feet and a light on our path?

When we consider how paths were lit before streetlights or lamplights were invented, foot lamps were used along a public path, set into the ground so people could see where they were going or any hazard in their way.

God's Word is indeed a light--it illuminates truths so we can see where we're headed if we don't obey and when we obey. In God's Word, we discover when we're on a path that may be hazardous to us, if we pay attention. When I remember what was said to Joshua, I can see how the writer has come to this conclusion. "If we keep God's commandments, whatever we put our hands to will prosper and we'll have good success." On a path to success, if we obey, we'll make it and if we don't, we won't.

Have we made a commitment to keep God's Word--primarily to love Him and everyone else? If we love Him, we'll always do what is right and pleasing in His sight; if we love others, we'll not do things that could harm them. This is the commitment to keeping God's Word!

And when we have made that commitment to keeping God's Word, we can better handle the attacks by the enemy. Unless our lives are threatened, we don't have to worry about stooping to the level of the enemy; we just speak God's Word over our lives and pray for our enemies that they will become enlightened by God's goodness. For we know--because of the testimonies given by others and how God sustained them, even in the midst of adversity--that He will do it again. He is the same God--yesterday, today, and forever and we can count on Him.

Have we totally submitted our hearts to God in keeping that commitment alive? Have we opened our hearts to receive all the love He has for us so we'll have more than enough to pour out on others?

If we have no love in our hearts, we certainly cannot hope to have love for others. We cannot give what we do not have. Before we can keep His Word, we must receive His Word and all the love that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment